Sunday, April 11, 2010

Leak Fix Attempt #3

My wife and I made the trip back to the cabin on Saturday to try again to fix the leak in the roof. I ripped up most of the patch job I had done last weekend. I decided that part of the problem was that I really couldn't get good access from the ladder angle I was using. I was having to lean over and reach around to the far side of the chimney, and it was awkward and precarious.

So I repositioned the ladder so I could get direct access to the chimney area. This proved to be a much more comfortable arrangement. The other problem was the black pipe cement I had used to try to fill the gaps between the chimney adapter and the roof. That stuff was clearly the wrong stuff. So I tried to clear it out as best as I could. Then I squeezed the silicone caulking directly into the gaps, and then filled copious amounts around the base of the chimney adapter. Still looks ugly, but I'll deal with that later.

A small irony in this saga is that when we arrived home, we found that the dishwasher had leaked out onto the kitchen floor. The garbage disposal went out a few days earlier, and it was the first time running the dishwasher since then. I had verified that the water from the sink was draining, but apparently the outlet from the dishwasher was clogged. It wouldn't have been that big a deal, except that we had installed a hardwood floor there a few years ago. In hindsight, probably not a great idea, but it did look great. While cleaning up the mess, I really had this feeling like the universe was trying to tell me something. Not sure what, but maybe something like I would have been a lousy plumber.

It is supposed to rain today, so I'm hoping I'll get a chance to drive up and see if my latest chimney patch worked.

On a side note, here's a link to my ukulele premier debut on youtube. I'll explain the ukulele connection to the property is a subsequent post, probably entitled "The Sinker Log".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZB8yWAWrQ



No comments:

Post a Comment